Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27579
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:10 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:44 am
Whilst based on their backgrounds our new recruits could be fairly described as a rag-tag bunch, from the interviews DSB has sourced it looks clear that they all possess good characters, which I know IE values extremely highly.

Given where we're recruiting from, it's inevitable that a good few of these new lads won't work out, but I'd be hopeful that there might be some real gems amongst them.
It might prove to be misplaced but personally I have confidence in our recruitment. I know nothing of the players we are signing but each signing when you look at their history and how they play makes sense. We seem to be recruiting to a clear style and system. We're not signing players who you question their physicality either - this is league 2 before you play football there will almost always be a physical battle to win.

It just feels like this is a plan to build a team with strengths and to a purpose rather than just signing whoever is available. Feels like we're being selective - having a good look first and judging characters. Whether the quality is ultimately there - we'll find out - but it just feels like (gut feeling) we're on the right track.

The_Gun
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:10 am
The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:44 am
Whilst based on their backgrounds our new recruits could be fairly described as a rag-tag bunch, from the interviews DSB has sourced it looks clear that they all possess good characters, which I know IE values extremely highly.

Given where we're recruiting from, it's inevitable that a good few of these new lads won't work out, but I'd be hopeful that there might be some real gems amongst them.
It might prove to be misplaced but personally I have confidence in our recruitment. I know nothing of the players we are signing but each signing when you look at their history and how they play makes sense. We seem to be recruiting to a clear style and system. We're not signing players who you question their physicality either - this is league 2 before you play football there will almost always be a physical battle to win.

It just feels like this is a plan to build a team with strengths and to a purpose rather than just signing whoever is available. Feels like we're being selective - having a good look first and judging characters. Whether the quality is ultimately there - we'll find out - but it just feels like (gut feeling) we're on the right track.
Yeah, absolutely. I'm more excited about the upcoming season (covid restrictions permitting) than I have been since the PL days. I think if anything I'm trying to temper my own expectations, because in my head now I've got us blitzing the league, which isn't particularly likely.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19911
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:51 am
[...] the embargo and squad restrictions for failure to comply with fair play are in the EFL rules and include the definition of established players....as per the above. Am I certain it’s the same for us? No. But I’d say it’s pretty likely.

Oh and all cup games of any sort count.
OK - well thanks for the info mate. I’ll now work on the assumption that Alexander, Senior and Thomason don’t count toward the limit, but that King’s Arms, Graham, Edwards, Brockbank, Politic and Darcy do.

That would give us four spaces left - I’m working on the assumption that Gilks will only he registered in the sort of GK emergency for which the League has always been flexible (eg emergency loans etc).

As it happens, it looks like we may need Alexander anyway, while the other “non-embargo” players Senior and Thomason are at the back of a lengthening queue for central defence and midfield respectively. I’d expect Thomason to continue his travels around upper non-league while, conversely, Senior takes his first steps outside the academy. As has been noted, there’s not much they can learn from U18s now - and it may be “work-experience” loans which often include the ability to train back with the parent club.

King-Harmes and Graham may also be sent out to free spaces; Edwards might be further up the pecking order but he’s fifth or sixth depending on Brockbank. With all respect I’d rather have Harry, partly as an Academy avatar, but is his career better served by a few months of regular action? Equally, who’d take this lad who didn’t flounder in a struggling Championship side but now finds himself down the squad list in League Two?

User avatar
sonicthewhite
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:55 pm
Location: Telford

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:23 pm

What no signing today? You mean we've gone a full day without a single, solitary signing? This just isn't good enough. Will have to complain to the management about this! :whack:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2298
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:50 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:23 pm
What no signing today? You mean we've gone a full day without a single, solitary signing? This just isn't good enough. Will have to complain to the management about this! :whack:

Boo! Evatt out! Phoenix out! DSB out! :P
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36693
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:05 pm

Thankfully 'missed out' on Spearing, who's going to Tranmere. Lazy little swine.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10215
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:05 pm
Thankfully 'missed out' on Spearing, who's going to Tranmere. Lazy little swine.
He’s obviously not for moving - but are Tranmere really paying more wages than the likes of Blackpool?

knobpolisher
Promising
Promising
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:52 pm
Location: Sunny Southport

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:22 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:51 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:05 pm
Thankfully 'missed out' on Spearing, who's going to Tranmere. Lazy little swine.
He’s obviously not for moving - but are Tranmere really paying more wages than the likes of Blackpool?
According to the Trashmere website his Nan lives nearby so he can scrounge some meals off her which will save a Bob or two.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8887
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:25 am

Iles says he'll be coaching at Liverpool as well so that's the big difference. Good luck to him (with the coaching role 😁).
...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27579
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:16 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:05 pm
Thankfully 'missed out' on Spearing, who's going to Tranmere. Lazy little swine.
Have to say - I never understood the outcry on social media for us to sign Spearing - he was ok whilst here but we signed him in the championship but he was never in reality that level of quality. I thought he looked a decent (but not outstanding) player in league one. For me he was neither a classy playmaker nor did he impact games enough by winning the ball - he was always a bit in between - and could never shake the feeling he thought he was better than he was.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25007
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:16 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:05 pm
Thankfully 'missed out' on Spearing, who's going to Tranmere. Lazy little swine.
Have to say - I never understood the outcry on social media for us to sign Spearing - he was ok whilst here but we signed him in the championship but he was never in reality that level of quality. I thought he looked a decent (but not outstanding) player in league one. For me he was neither a classy playmaker nor did he impact games enough by winning the ball - he was always a bit in between - and could never shake the feeling he thought he was better than he was.
I think he did ok for us, without ever clamouring for him back - he was rarely the worst midfielder on the pitch on any given day, but nor (as you say) did he ever really control the game for us. Not gutted that he's gone elsewhere, but wouldn't have been wailing had he signed for us.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19911
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:54 pm

Interesting Ilesy piece on Evatt's lofty acquisitions addressing the set-piece problems that dogged Barrow early last season

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -expected/

I didn't know, and wouldn't have guessed, that the Champo had the highest ratio of set-piece goals in the four divisions. Fascinating (IMO) how Division Four has changed (young managers, young goalkeepers, relative lack of Route One) but perhaps not everybody's perceptions have. Certainly I've had eyes opened recently by some of the numbers. I'm genuinely looking forward to watching this season like nothing I can remember since maybe the early Prem days, and even then I knew I'd be watching through tented fingers.

User avatar
brommers95
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by brommers95 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:00 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:54 pm
Interesting Ilesy piece on Evatt's lofty acquisitions addressing the set-piece problems that dogged Barrow early last season

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -expected/

I didn't know, and wouldn't have guessed, that the Champo had the highest ratio of set-piece goals in the four divisions. Fascinating (IMO) how Division Four has changed (young managers, young goalkeepers, relative lack of Route One) but perhaps not everybody's perceptions have. Certainly I've had eyes opened recently by some of the numbers. I'm genuinely looking forward to watching this season like nothing I can remember since maybe the early Prem days, and even then I knew I'd be watching through tented fingers.
With you there DSB.

Without wanting to take the thread off topic too much, during a spate of boredom last week I cobbled together the statistics for pass completion for Leagues 1 and 2 last season and plotted them against PPG. I was expecting to see some correlation between pass completion and PPG for LG1 but less so for LG2 (with its stereotypical image of being a direct, scrappy league). The results surprised me.

League 1 showed little statistical significance with Wycombe and Rotherham being promoted despite having two of the lowest pass completion rates in the league.
Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 13.47.23.png
Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 13.47.23.png (42.68 KiB) Viewed 606 times


Whilst League 2 showed some definite correlation:
Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 13.50.06.png
Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 13.50.06.png (51.36 KiB) Viewed 606 times
The three automatically promoted teams occupied three of the top four spots for pass completion. Three young, ambitious managers who like to play a progressive, passing brand of football finding success in this league. Good signs, good signs indeed...

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19911
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:58 pm

Fascinating stuff. For those who may be wondering WTF all this is: As a general but reliable rule, pass completion is lower the more a team plays long balls - so the teams on the left of the graph (Newport, Northampton etc) are of the agricultural tendency. PPG (points per game) is a measure of their success, I suppose. As Brommers notes, the three auto-promoted teams (Swindon, Crewe, Plymouth) are all way over to the right (ie "passing"); I'd add that of that high-passing group of six, Cheltenham and Colchester also made the play-offs.

Note that we've already signed players from Swindon, Plymouth and Colchester. FGR's commitment to passing – although relatively unsuccessful (the five others over there all reached the play-offs or gained promotion) - might explain the high numbers for their out-of-contract wingbacks Joseph Mills (LWB) and Liam Shephard (RWB), both of whom I've mentioned as possible signings.

You do note, though, that the big lump can work too. Northampton, with the second-lowest pass completion, lost five of their last seven pre-lockdown games but elbowed past pretty-passing Cheltenham in a curious semi-final turnaround, losing 2-0 at home then winning 3-0 away, before destroying Exeter 4-0 in the final.

This is no longer a scrappy semi-pub league full of vicious fat full-backs and dwindling has-beens, although it definitely was when we were last here in the 80s. There's a thesis to be written on why: I suggest factors include richer players retiring before dropping down the leagues, more enlightened coaching across the board as a result of the increased dissemination of ideas (via social media and wider choice of TV football), and the discrediting of the POMO theories of Charles Reep and Charles Hughes.

Anyways, it all adds up to the idea that Evatt's style of football might not be merely the self-defeating exceptionalism of the ideologue but a clear-eyed way to plot a path up the leagues.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19911
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:03 pm

SIGNING KLAXON

Finally, confirmation we've recruited Matt Gilks as player and "will also serve as the club’s goalkeeper coach in Head Coach Ian Evatt’s backroom team."

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/august ... pointment/

Gilks:
I was fortunate enough to train here when I was just starting out as a young lad. I spent a number of years training with Fred Barber (former goalkeeper coach), Jussi Jaaskelainen and Steve Banks during the Sam Allardyce era and I’m forever indebted to this football club for the part they played in my upbringing as a professional footballer.
Ian Evatt:
I am delighted to welcome Matt GIlks as our new goalkeeper coach. He is a fantastic character and, after a stellar playing career, he moves into an exciting new role. Matt has a wealth of knowledge to give our goalkeepers and will be a huge asset for this football club.
Iles: https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... wanderers/


The sense is that this won't be the final announcement today.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2228
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:03 pm
SIGNING KLAXON

Finally, confirmation we've recruited Matt Gilks as player and "will also serve as the club’s goalkeeper coach in Head Coach Ian Evatt’s backroom team."

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/august ... pointment/

Gilks:
I was fortunate enough to train here when I was just starting out as a young lad. I spent a number of years training with Fred Barber (former goalkeeper coach), Jussi Jaaskelainen and Steve Banks during the Sam Allardyce era and I’m forever indebted to this football club for the part they played in my upbringing as a professional footballer.
Ian Evatt:
I am delighted to welcome Matt GIlks as our new goalkeeper coach. He is a fantastic character and, after a stellar playing career, he moves into an exciting new role. Matt has a wealth of knowledge to give our goalkeepers and will be a huge asset for this football club.
Iles: https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... wanderers/


The sense is that this won't be the final announcement today.
It does rather confirm that he's taking up one of those increasingly sparse 23-man squad spots. It'll also be interesting to see which keeper is actually preferred - the majority of football sims (I know...) seem to indicate that, of the three, Gilks is still the better keeper...

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 4973
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by DJBlu » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:06 pm

Jak Hickman has signed.

Let's hope he leaves his phone at home if he goes to Ibiza.

User avatar
sonicthewhite
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:55 pm
Location: Telford

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by sonicthewhite » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:11 pm

Hmmm :? A RB? We already have an RB in Brockers. I wonder if Evatt doesn't rate Brockers to adapt in to a wingback yet fancies Hickman capable of playing there? we shall have to wait and see I suppose. This does feel like Brockers will be going out on loan though :|
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2298
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:17 pm

One more incoming .....
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

User avatar
sonicthewhite
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:55 pm
Location: Telford

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by sonicthewhite » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:18 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:17 pm
One more incoming .....
They're trying to keep me happy and to stop me moaning again because of their lapse the other day :wink: :D
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], The_Gun and 40 guests