What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:32 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:06 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:18 pm
Hardly in the realms of Classic Literature, but I've read a couple of books by Charles Cumming - A Scot who was recruited by MI6 in real life but did not pursue a career - What he did learn though, he put into some fiction books with various characters working within the UK intelligence services.

Popped to Waterstones on dinner to grab another one, which I'm looking forward to starting, after finishing 'Box88' (which was really fun) and 'A Foreign Country'

They're quickly paced and provide a bit of escapism. If you like Reacher, Bond, or other action style fiction, then I recommend
I've read a couple of those, very good. No fancy Bond stuff, more the grubby side of spying. Very believable characters. Cheers for the reminder, I'll have a look what else he's done recently.
Brian Freemantle's "Charlie Muffin" novels should really suit you in this category. They're great reading.

https://www.google.com/search?q=charlie ... e&ie=UTF-8
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:25 am

Was it you who recommended Robert Goddard, Tango?
Enjoyed the Harry Barnett books.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:39 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:25 am
Seem to remember recommending Goddard's 'Found Wanting' to you. You can borrow it if you like?
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:39 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Seem to remember recommending Goddard's 'Found Wanting' to you. You can borrow it if you like?
Thanks

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:19 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Bruce and me both I think. Great author. Have you read "The Ghost" by Robert Harris? That's worth a read...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:19 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Bruce and me both I think. Great author. Have you read "The Ghost" by Robert Harris? That's worth a read...
I've read all Harris' novels except the latest about the V2 rockets. The Second Sleep was an interesting one, very different to his usual.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:33 am

Finished off 'Eight Detectives' this week, a highly touted whodunit type of thing from the other year.

Felt like this was supposed to be a bit of a love letter to pre 1960s crime thrillers with its own take on proceedings. Nothing wrong with that of course, nostalgia can be fine. This was really poor though imo, especially given the hype. Characters were pretty uninteresting and while some of the individual 'mysteries' piqued my interest the format got stale toward the end, and smelt quite a bit of an author thinking he is too clever by half. A big house with bugger all interesting inside.

Next, The Marlow Murder Club, which I assume got into some sort of legal fight with The Thursday Murder Club released not long ago.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:43 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:33 am
Finished off 'Eight Detectives' this week, a highly touted whodunit type of thing from the other year.

Felt like this was supposed to be a bit of a love letter to pre 1960s crime thrillers with its own take on proceedings. Nothing wrong with that of course, nostalgia can be fine. This was really poor though imo, especially given the hype. Characters were pretty uninteresting and while some of the individual 'mysteries' piqued my interest the format got stale toward the end, and smelt quite a bit of an author thinking he is too clever by half. A big house with bugger all interesting inside.
In terms of fictional novels,Jane Austen is still in print 200 plus years after she died. Her plots are simple and concentrate on characters rather than descriptive writing. I've read all her novels at least half-a-dozen times and always find something fresh to think about when I'm having a quiet time. .

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:43 am
KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:33 am

In terms of fictional novels,Jane Austen is still in print 200 plus years after she died. Her plots are simple and concentrate on characters rather than descriptive writing. I've read all her novels at least half-a-dozen times and always find something fresh to think about when I'm having a quiet time. .

Aye I think I need to (re)visit some of the classics, never really read much literature pre 1900 and really should make up for lost time. Have been watching a literary criticism series on youtube looking at things from Shakespeare up to Marquez and have been enjoying it immensely. Should probably read them then! :)
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:34 pm

I recently read Pride and Prejudice for the first time at my girlfriend's urging and really enjoyed it, which I didn't expect to. Same thing with Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.
I read all sorts, mainly easy action or spy stuff but some more challenging stuff.
If you're looking for classics, I'd recommend Thomas Hardy. Read all his main novels and they are superb. Especially The Mayor of Casterbridge.