What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7927
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon May 17, 2021 9:20 pm

Caught up with Ian Wrights home truths on iplayer. Worth a watch - sad, powerful, thought provoking.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3365
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon May 17, 2021 9:44 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:20 pm
Caught up with Ian Wrights home truths on iplayer. Worth a watch - sad, powerful, thought provoking.

Been meaning to watch that. Thanks for the reminder.

Anyone got any Netflix/Prime/Sky recommendations? Really struggling to find and stick with anything at the moment.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36899
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 17, 2021 10:49 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:20 pm
Caught up with Ian Wrights home truths on iplayer. Worth a watch - sad, powerful, thought provoking.
Disrespectful to both Bruce Rioch and John McGinlay. A poor specimen. 😕
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28161
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 18, 2021 9:51 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:49 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:20 pm
Caught up with Ian Wrights home truths on iplayer. Worth a watch - sad, powerful, thought provoking.
Disrespectful to both Bruce Rioch and John McGinlay. A poor specimen. 😕
The program itself or Wright in general? I absolutely cannot stand Ian Wright - obnoxious loud mouth who almost seems to revel in being a stereotypically ignorant Englishman proclaiming we're 'going to win the world cup' even when evidence suggests we have no chance. You can't imagine Dennis Bergkamp for example, doing similar - its absolutely ridiculous.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36899
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 18, 2021 10:13 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:51 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:49 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:20 pm
Caught up with Ian Wrights home truths on iplayer. Worth a watch - sad, powerful, thought provoking.
Disrespectful to both Bruce Rioch and John McGinlay. A poor specimen. 😕
The program itself or Wright in general? I absolutely cannot stand Ian Wright - obnoxious loud mouth who almost seems to revel in being a stereotypically ignorant Englishman proclaiming we're 'going to win the world cup' even when evidence suggests we have no chance. You can't imagine Dennis Bergkamp for example, doing similar - its absolutely ridiculous.
Haven't seen the programme and won't be watching it either. My feelings on Ian Wright match yours exactly!

Can't imagine Dennis Bergkamp doing that Chicken Tonight advert either! :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7927
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue May 18, 2021 11:40 am

Whatever anyone may think of Ian Wright, and there’s plenty of players and managers I think are complete knobs, Allardyce for one, if you can’t have your heart moved by a mother regularly telling her 10 year old lad she wishes she had terminated him then that’s a bit sad. People are a product of their childhoods, good and bad, Wright admits in the programme that a lot of the anger he showed on the pitch was a result of the lack of love and the rejection he received as a child.

Anyone wishing to borrow my signed copy of his autobiography (‘To Helen, congratulations on your GCSE’s’) please form an orderly queue ;)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36899
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 18, 2021 2:23 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:40 am

Anyone wishing to borrow my signed copy of his autobiography (‘To Helen, congratulations on your GCSE’s’) please form an orderly queue ;)
You should have loaned him your Maths and History GSCE's in 1997. You might've prevented him from making a cock of himself when he scored against us and revealed his '179 Just Done It' vest, boasting to have just overhauled Cliff Bastin’s 178 goal scoring record, when in actual fact he'd done nowt of the sort! :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28161
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 18, 2021 2:39 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:40 am
Whatever anyone may think of Ian Wright, and there’s plenty of players and managers I think are complete knobs, Allardyce for one, if you can’t have your heart moved by a mother regularly telling her 10 year old lad she wishes she had terminated him then that’s a bit sad. People are a product of their childhoods, good and bad, Wright admits in the programme that a lot of the anger he showed on the pitch was a result of the lack of love and the rejection he received as a child.

Anyone wishing to borrow my signed copy of his autobiography (‘To Helen, congratulations on your GCSE’s’) please form an orderly queue ;)
Why would I watch a TV program about someone I can't stand?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7927
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue May 18, 2021 3:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:23 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:40 am

Anyone wishing to borrow my signed copy of his autobiography (‘To Helen, congratulations on your GCSE’s’) please form an orderly queue ;)
You should have loaned him your Maths and History GSCE's in 1997. You might've prevented him from making a cock of himself when he scored against us and revealed his '179 Just Done It' vest, boasting to have just overhauled Cliff Bastin’s 178 goal scoring record, when in actual fact he'd done nowt of the sort! :lol:
Ahh yes, I remembered that! Good job he scored again same game eh?! A hatrick in the end wasn’t it?! :D

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7927
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue May 18, 2021 3:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:39 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:40 am
Whatever anyone may think of Ian Wright, and there’s plenty of players and managers I think are complete knobs, Allardyce for one, if you can’t have your heart moved by a mother regularly telling her 10 year old lad she wishes she had terminated him then that’s a bit sad. People are a product of their childhoods, good and bad, Wright admits in the programme that a lot of the anger he showed on the pitch was a result of the lack of love and the rejection he received as a child.

Anyone wishing to borrow my signed copy of his autobiography (‘To Helen, congratulations on your GCSE’s’) please form an orderly queue ;)
Why would I watch a TV program about someone I can't stand?
Because the subject is important and interesting?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21051
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 18, 2021 4:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:39 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:40 am
Whatever anyone may think of Ian Wright, and there’s plenty of players and managers I think are complete knobs, Allardyce for one, if you can’t have your heart moved by a mother regularly telling her 10 year old lad she wishes she had terminated him then that’s a bit sad. People are a product of their childhoods, good and bad, Wright admits in the programme that a lot of the anger he showed on the pitch was a result of the lack of love and the rejection he received as a child.

Anyone wishing to borrow my signed copy of his autobiography (‘To Helen, congratulations on your GCSE’s’) please form an orderly queue ;)
Why would I watch a TV program about someone I can't stand?
I'm guessing you've never watched the history channel then :D


I like Wright (though I'm too young to really remember him as a player). Adds almost nothing as a pundit but you could say that about half of them and I love his enthusiasm and love of the game. His analysis is basically always "I would have simply kicked it in the net" mind.

Not watching the programme though because that sounds bleak af.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36899
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 18, 2021 5:27 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:54 pm

Ahh yes, I remembered that! Good job he scored again same game eh?! A hatrick in the end wasn’t it?! :D
That's not the point! 😁
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7927
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue May 18, 2021 7:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 5:27 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:54 pm

Ahh yes, I remembered that! Good job he scored again same game eh?! A hatrick in the end wasn’t it?! :D
That's not the point! 😁
:D

Remember it vividly. 23 years ago! Pru making me feel old not remembering him as a player!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7927
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri May 21, 2021 9:07 pm

A stressful week means nothing too deep and hard core on the tv on Friday night. Ackley Bridge. Kind of Grange Hill for grown ups.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36899
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 22, 2021 12:58 pm

After what I considered to be the crushing disappointment of the first series of This Time, I'm chuffed to see how much better this one is.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7941
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 25, 2021 12:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 12:58 pm
After what I considered to be the crushing disappointment of the first series of This Time, I'm chuffed to see how much better this one is.
Agree with this. Joe Beesley and cheeky monkey giving advice on domestic violence the other week :lol:

I'd give my right bollock for a new series of 'I'm Alan Partridge', though.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36899
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 25, 2021 8:24 pm

Forgot to mention, we sat down to watch The Irishman on Sunday afternoon. The idea was to watch it in stages over the course of this week , however, three and a half hours later.... 😊

What a superb film. Whatever the cinematography equivalent of a page-turner is, it's one of them.

Incredible performances from the entire cast. 👏
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28161
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 26, 2021 10:54 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 12:58 pm
After what I considered to be the crushing disappointment of the first series of This Time, I'm chuffed to see how much better this one is.
Agreed. Though I'm always disconcerted now with how if someone didn't know they might actually think this was a new BBC 'one show' style program given it veers so closely at times its painful. Obviously until they don't cut away......

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21051
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 26, 2021 11:26 am

Well I thought the first series was excellent and it's more of the same.

The Irish singer Coogan character was mesmerising.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

KeyserSoze
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1914
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed May 26, 2021 11:47 am

Ploughing through 'Unforgotten' on Netflix. Currently on season 3. Good stuff.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests