Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39740
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Your England XI

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:39 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:41 am
England V Andorra tonight. Clashes with Strictly. Which will have more foxtrotting? :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39740
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Your England XI

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:26 am

Anybody watch the Jack Grealish individual goal? Class, and credit to our keeper for spotting him free.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39740
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Your England XI

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:12 pm

England v Hungary tonight. We beat them not long bck, but they may have learned a thing or two. Hope McGuire and Walker are over their injuries...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26114
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:40 pm

Not vintage.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21661
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:24 am

Awful. The manager remains a nice guy but shit manager. Rinse and repeat.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39740
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Your England XI

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:48 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:24 am
Awful. The manager remains a nice guy but shit manager. Rinse and repeat.
Yes, it was less then excellent, but I'm not putting it all down to the manager Pru. For a start, we were playing a different Hungary than a month ago. They learned lessons and applied them, thus making it very difficult (when combined with their " If you can't get the ball, get the man! tactics plus fouls and time wasting), The Hungarians (awful pun) were hungrier than our lacadaisical gladiators, and we would still have won but for that dodgy penalty (Shaw was watching the ball when the forward dived in at it and made a real meal of it knowing he was near the box) despite their attractive and skilled attacks second half. .

We really missed the injured Harry McGuire and Shaw isn't surely our best choice at left back?(not the first time I've said that and I know I won't be agreed with) Every time he got the ball and was challenged, back it went a la Rio Ferdinand. Stones can't get in United's team right now and Sterling can't get in the City side, not too hard to see why on last night's showing. Harry Kane has gone right off the boil and if Gareth Southgate is guilty of much, it's surely a failure to see that, although his double-barrel named replacement is also injured.
Last point. Winning 25-0 against the San Marinos in our group proves little. We'll need to be really on song from now on. Poland and now Hungary seem to prove that.

Not asking for agreement as the views are mine, but I'm maintaining the points. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29724
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:48 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:24 am
Awful. The manager remains a nice guy but shit manager. Rinse and repeat.
Yes, it was less then excellent, but I'm not putting it all down to the manager Pru. For a start, we were playing a different Hungary than a month ago. They learned lessons and applied them, thus making it very difficult (when combined with their " If you can't get the ball, get the man! tactics plus fouls and time wasting), The Hungarians (awful pun) were hungrier than our lacadaisical gladiators, and we would still have won but for that dodgy penalty (Shaw was watching the ball when the forward dived in at it and made a real meal of it knowing he was near the box) despite their attractive and skilled attacks second half. .

We really missed the injured Harry McGuire and Shaw isn't surely our best choice at left back?(not the first time I've said that and I know I won't be agreed with) Every time he got the ball and was challenged, back it went a la Rio Ferdinand. Stones can't get in United's team right now and Sterling can't get in the City side, not too hard to see why on last night's showing. Harry Kane has gone right off the boil and if Gareth Southgate is guilty of much, it's surely a failure to see that, although his double-barrel named replacement is also injured.
Last point. Winning 25-0 against the San Marinos in our group proves little. We'll need to be really on song from now on. Poland and now Hungary seem to prove that.

Not asking for agreement as the views are mine, but I'm maintaining the points. :D
For good reason.... :wink:

As for the rest I agree more or less - not sure Southgate did a lot wrong.

For me I come back to a midfield that lacks real quality - very unconvinced by Mount - actually I'll say it - he's not an England player. Foden needs to be used in a different way and Henderson came on and looked utterly woeful (and I still think he's not close to the player people proclaim him to be).

Southgate was a bit stuck with availability and like you say Kane is not on any form.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39740
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Your England XI

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:30 pm

Friday, 12th November 19:45
England v Albania
FIFA World Cup 2022 Qualifier


Bolton play Crewe same night at 8-0'clock.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39740
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Your England XI

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:32 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:30 pm
Friday, 12th November 19:45
England v Albania
FIFA World Cup 2022 Qualifier


Bolton play Crewe same night at 8-0'clock.
See Sky have grabbed everything in sight tonight, including the England U21 v Czech Republic U21. Typical. :evil:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39740
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Your England XI

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:12 pm

Just caught up on this due to the euphoria of a Whites win.. :mrgreen:


Harry Maguire scores, so does Henderson, both goals well taken, and Harry Kane knocks in three real crackers and we beat Albania 5-0. What's not to like. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26114
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:47 pm

Was just recalling when San Marino went 1-0 up. Bastards reminded me it was 28 years ago! :-(

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39740
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Your England XI

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:07 pm

Northern Ireland draw 0-0 with Italy! :shock: Well done them. Hungary beat Poland.

10-0 against San Marino leaves me feeling sorry for them, but as the mandate goes, you can only play what's in front of you. Good display from the New England young caps.
Our penalties were a bit iffy to say the least and Abrahams getting a yellow card ridiculous.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests